A Greenville DUI accident attorney at Upstate Personal Injury Lawyers, LLC can represent you to seek financial compensation when you are the victim of a drunk driving crash.
Drunk driving is completely preventable. A victim should be fairly compensated for their losses, and a drunk driving accident lawyer at our firm can represent you.
Attorney in Greenville for DUI Accident Victims
At Upstate Personal Injury Lawyers, we understand the process for a victim to receive fair payment for what has happened to them.
If you have been hit by a drunk driver, see how our law firm can assist you. Speak with a Greenville DUI accident attorney by calling (864) 808-6108 for a free consultation, or message us now.
Your Rights If You’re Hit by a Drunk Driver
If you’re hit by a drunk driver, here is what we want you to know:
- You may deserve financial compensation
- The amount you receive may go far beyond your medical bills. You may receive compensation for economic and non-economic losses
- A victim may initiate their own claim. You have a limited amount of time to file a claim
- You may receive compensation even if the offender never faces criminal charges or if they are never convicted
- Compensation may include lost income, pain and suffering, mental health injury and disfigurement
- A lawyer can represent you to claim compensation
When you’re hit by a drunk driver, you have several goals. You want justice for what has happened, and you want the offender to be accountable for their actions. You want – and deserve – financial compensation. Not only do you want a payment, but you want an amount that represents your losses that are both financial and personal.
Bringing a claim can also raise awareness of the dangers of drunk driving and may prevent a similar offense from happening to someone else. All of these are important goals. A Greenville DUI accident attorney at our firm is dedicated to pursuing them — for you, and with you.
To see how we may assist you, start with a consultation with our legal team. Learn about the law and how it relates to the specifics of your case. Contact us now to begin.
DUI Crashes in Greenville, SC
According to the CDC, 30% of all traffic deaths involve alcohol.
In South Carolina, Greenville County ranks second for the most drunk driving fatalities in the state (in 2020). There were 21 alcohol-related fatalities in Greenville County in 2020, an increase from 18 in 2019. An additional 620 non-fatal drunk driving traffic crashes occurred in 2020 in the county. (SCDPS, Traffic Collision Fact Book).
Drunk Driving Accident Compensation in South Carolina
Drunk driving in South Carolina is both a criminal offense and a civil wrong. When drunk driving occurs, a victim who is hurt is the victim of a personal injury.
- It is a criminal offense to drive when the ability to drive is impaired by alcohol (S.C. Code § 56-5-2930)
- A person may be responsible for impaired driving even with a bodily alcohol content of less than .08
- It is always against the law to drive with a bodily alcohol content of .08 or higher
- Drunk driving goes beyond negligence, it is reckless behavior. Drunk driving causing injury may be the basis of financial compensation
- For a victim to have a right to compensation, the drunk driving must be the cause of the accident and injuries to the victim
Law enforcement should investigate the drunk driving crash and issue the appropriate charges. However, a criminal case alone doesn’t appropriately serve the interests of the victim. Restitution in a criminal court covers only pecuniary damages. (S.C. Code § 17-25-322). Enforcement may be challenging if the restitution goes unpaid, and third parties (like a bar or restaurant that overserved the driver), cannot be ordered to pay in the criminal matter.
A DUI accident legal claim with the help of an attorney can ensure that you get the compensation you fully deserve. We focus on your rights and your losses.
To see how a DUI accident attorney can assist you, we invite you to speak with our legal team. We handle cases in Greenville and the surrounding areas. In addition, we can assist you if you are a Greenville resident and injured in a DUI crash that occurred in another location.
Damages in a DUI accident claim
Some compensation you may claim in a DUI accident claim includes:
- Costs of medical treatment in the short-term and long-term
- Mental health injury and treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Lost income
- Disfigurement, scars
- Lifestyle limitations
- Vehicle and personal property damage
- Punitive damages
Being a DUI accident victim impacts you in many ways. We ensure that the amount you claim reflects your losses and suffering.
Consultations Available – Talk to an Attorney Now
To talk to a Greenville DUI accident attorney, call (864) 808-6108, send us a message or stop by our offices. See how we can help you and begin your case for compensation today. We look forward to hearing from you.