A head-on car accident can have devastating consequences, leaving drivers and passengers with serious injuries or fatalities. If you or a loved one have been in a head-on collision, an experienced Greenville car accident lawyer at Upstate Personal Injury Lawyers, LLC can help protect your rights and pursue full compensation for your losses.
What are the Causes of Head-On Car Accidents?
A head-on collision is a full-frontal crash involving a car crossing the centerline and striking another vehicle in the opposite lane.
Due to the severity of the impact, head-on collisions can cause devastating injuries and fatalities for those involved. Some common causes of head-on collisions include:
- Wrong-way driving: A driver may mistakenly go the wrong way on a street or highway ramp.
- Inadequate signage: A missing stop sign or malfunctioning traffic light can lead to a head-on collision. Sometimes, a driver may be unaware that they’re entering a one-way street, which can lead to a crash.
- Drunk driving: When someone drinks and drives, they put themselves and others in danger by impairing their decision-making, reaction time, awareness, and overall ability to operate a car safely.
- Distracted driving: While all forms of distracted driving can be dangerous, texting and looking away from the road at any time can cause a driver to veer off course and cross into oncoming traffic.
- Speeding: When a driver is going faster than the speed limit, they are less likely to stay in their lane around curves and more likely to cause a head-on crash.
- Fatigue: Drowsy driving can have similar effects to drunk driving and increases a driver’s risk of getting into a head-on collision.
- Weather conditions: Fog can reduce visibility and cause a driver to use the wrong lane or go the wrong direction.
- Road conditions: Poorly maintained roads with narrow shoulders, sharp curves, and unmarked lanes can cause drivers to drift into other lanes of traffic.
The cause of a head-on crash may be related to multiple factors. An experienced Greenville car accident lawyer can help you determine who is liable for your losses and pursue full compensation.
Injury and Fatality Risks in Head-On Crashes
Head-on crashes can range from minor fender benders to catastrophic collisions, and the severity of the injuries those involved suffer depends on various factors. For instance, a collision of two cars at a speed of 60 mph is similar to a car cruising at 120 mph but colliding with a stationary object.
Head-on collisions are particularly dangerous because all the impact force is concentrated on the front portion of each vehicle, including the passengers and drivers. Common injuries suffered in a head-on crash include:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord trauma
- Internal organ damage
- Chest injuries
Potential Settlement Value in a Head-On Collision Case
Meanwhile, getting compensation for a head-on crash can either be through an out-of-court settlement where the driver’s insurance company offers a fair lump sum payment or by taking the case to trial. Depending on the circumstances of your particular crash, compensation may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages where you were unable to work
- Loss of future income due to disability
- Pain and suffering caused by physical or mental injuries
- Emotional distress
You may be eligible for wrongful death compensation if a loved one was killed in a head-on collision. This includes medical bills related to your loved one’s fatal injury, burial/funeral costs, loss of companionship or consortium, and other related losses.
How Can a Head-On Car Accident Attorney Help?
While knowing the cause of your head-on collision can help determine who is liable for your losses, determining fair compensation can be difficult. Getting legal help from an experienced Greenville head-on car accident lawyer is essential.
At Upstate Personal Injury Lawyers, LLC, we understand how serious the effects of a head-on collision can be for victims and their families. Our team will handle all the legal formalities, including gathering information and evidence to establish liability, negotiating a fair settlement with insurance adjusters, and filing a personal injury case in court if needed.
We understand that every case is unique and requires an individual approach. That’s why we offer free consultations and evaluate each case on its own merits to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Please contact us today by phone or online and schedule your free consultation.
Head-On Car Accident Case FAQs
What should I do after a head-on car accident?
First and foremost, seek medical attention for any injuries. If you are physically able, take photos or videos of the scene to document the accident. Collect contact information and insurance information from the other driver. Finally, contact an experienced Greenville head-on car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
How long do I have to file a lawsuit after a head-on collision?
In South Carolina, you have three years to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit in court from the accident date. It is essential to speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible to ensure you do not miss any deadlines.
Why should I hire a lawyer for my head-on car accident case?
Hiring an experienced attorney to handle your case can help you in various ways. An attorney can ensure that all legal procedures and time limits are followed. They can also work with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.