How Are Compensatory Damages Calculated?

Posted on

Compensatory damages are those damages that you suffer as a result of someone else’s negligence, and they are intended to compensate you for your losses. Because this component of your claim will play a pivotal role in your recovery, working closely with an experienced Greenville personal injury attorney is the best path forward.

Your Compensatory Damages

Your compensatory damages are meant to compensate you for the losses (or damages) you suffer as a result of the at-fault party’s negligence. Calculating your economic damages is a straightforward process that involves tabulating the following:

  • The cost of your medical expenses, including all ongoing costs
  • The cost of your lost earnings, including any losses in earning potential
  • The cost of your property damage (such as to your vehicle in a traffic accident)

Your non-economic damages (such as your pain and suffering), however, are more challenging to assess accurately. One method that is commonly used for claims involving significant damages is the multiplier method. This involves attributing a number from 1.5 to 5 (based on the seriousness of your pain and suffering) and multiplying your economic damages by this number in order to put a value on your non-economic damages.

Reach out to an Experienced South Carolina Personal Injury Attorney Today

The practiced Greenville, South Carolina, personal injury lawyers at Upstate Personal Injury Lawyers, LLC, dedicate their practice to helping clients like you prevail with the compensation to which they are entitled, and we’re here for you, too. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 864-531-7969 today.

Personal Injury FAQ

What if my injuries are catastrophic?

If your injuries are catastrophic in nature, the cost of your economic damages will likely be multiplied by five (if the multiplier method is used) in order to value your non-economic damages.

Will I have to go to trial?

The majority of personal injury claims are settled out of court, which means yours is likely to do the same.

Do I have a personal injury claim?

If you were injured by someone else’s negligence (in a situation in which you were owed a duty of care), you likely have a claim, and a dedicated personal injury attorney can succinctly answer this and any other questions you have.

Get in touch via phone, fax, email, or alternatively send us a message via our contact form located on the contact page.

Get In Touch Now

Awards & Associations

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.